USB Memory Stick not Automounting (or manually mounting)

Rick Knight rick_knight at
Sat May 2 05:45:00 BST 2009

John DeCarlo wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:27 AM, Rick Knight
> <rick_knight at <mailto:rick_knight at>> wrote:
>     I've run "sudo tail -f
>     /var/log/messages" and watched the output while inserting the Memory
>     Stick, but there is no response. This has always just worked in
>     the past
>     so I'm not sure what to do to fix the problem. Anyone able to
>     offer any
>     help?
> I guess my first test would be to run "lspci" in a terminal and see if
> the USB controllers on your system show up.
> --
> John DeCarlo, My Views Are My Own
> <>

Thanks for your reply. It turned out the problem was a dead USB port. I
didn't know a single USB port could go bad while the others are all
fine, but it seems to have done so. Anyway, I guess I'll be looking for
a new MB soon.

Thanks again,