Jaunty Musings

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Fri May 1 20:11:41 BST 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 2:52:05 pm Ian L. Target wrote:
> Amichai Rotman wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I know I already wrote to the Kubuntu list, but I was not answered -
> > so I am trying the Ubuntu list too...
> >
> > I recently upgraded from Kubuntu 8.04 to Kubuntu 9.04 using the online
> > method.
> >
> > I was actually surprised to see how smoothly the upgrade process was.
> > I was pretty sure it will break my system and I'd have to re-install
> > from scratch...
> >
> > I am trying to get used to the new concepts introduced in KDE 4.2.2,
>
> I also am surprised at the ease of my upgrade.  I went from 8.04 to 9.04
> no problem.
>
> However, my desktop is rather slow, not to mention I just don't like the
> looks of it.  Are there any alternatives to using the plasma-type
> stuff?  I don't think my older computer can handle of that graphics
> stuff.  Where do you go to change the the settings?  And once I get
> there, can anyone suggest a simpler (quicker, less CPU intensive)
> desktop?  The more plain and simple, the better.
>
> Ian

You can turn off desktop effects in System Settings / Desktop area (or use alt-
shift-f12 key combo to toggle). That should help a lot there for you

There are *many* other so-called 'light' desktops. Many like Xfce (Xubuntu for
example). Most do not have any of the tools and features that make up Ubuntu
and Kubuntu, but Xubuntu is a nice balance of lightness and features

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_X_Window_System_desktop_environments
http://linuxreviews.org/dictionary/Desktop_environment/

Many if not all are available to Kubuntu, and add entries into KDM
the package xubuntu-desktop will install Xubuntu just like you would install
Ubuntu alongside of Kubuntu.

I usually have fluxbox installed as a sort of backup desktop on my laptop. It
is rather minimal, though there are even more plain ones than that

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net