codec for .wmv with audio v3

Tony Sivori TonySivori at
Fri May 1 17:58:36 BST 2009

I'm running 8.04 and KDE 3.5. All updates are installed.

Recently I'm getting no sound from some videos. I know it is possible that
the poster posted a defective file, but they all seem to be the same type
(.wmv) and xine always shows the same error:

.wmv unsupported codec:
Audio Codec: Windows Media Audio v3 (0x16)

Here's an example:
message-id: <49f24311$0$27405$6d4158fb at>

Results are the same, video but no sound with xine, Mplayer, VLC media
player, Avidemux, Helix, and Kaffiene. Kaffiene tries to install a codec,
but gives an error that the "codec package is already installed".

Any help, or any idea of when audio support for v3 wmv files will be

Tony Sivori