KPacketKit

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sat May 2 02:14:27 UTC 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:

>>> But it doesn't work _well_.  I've never found synaptic useful, and I have
>>> actually used it on and off ever since it was first introduced (I just
>>> deleted it off my system again, this morning).
>>
>> Your statement is so common on forums these days.
>
>First, of all, I don't do "forums"...
>
>> Some people assume
>> that their experience, regardless of its cause, reflects *everyone's*
>> experience, so the software "must" be bad for everyone.
>
>You just drop in here and think you can teach your grandmother ...
>
>My experience with Synaptic (mediocre, at best) is backed by a large amount
>of feedback from users over the last 10+ years.  But then again, I didn't
>say it was "bad", I called it a waste of space (on a KDE system) and said
>that it didn't work "well" - as in, it is still too hard to do things that
>should be trivial, and the UI is weak.
>
>> BTW,  I don't have a problem with KPackageKit, I just prefer the way
>> Synaptic looks, feels and works.  That it brings in some GNOME utilities
>> in order to do its job is of no concern to me.   Both the GNOME and KDE
>> developers are working together to assure the interoperability of their
>> respective desktops.
>
>Where do you get that idea?  Gnome and KDE developers will work together
>when hell freezes over.

You must have missed the memo then.  I can use just about any gnome app I want
to, on a kde system.  Heck, even gstreamer will run.  Note I didn't say it
worked, cuz I hear it doesn't work on gnome either. :)

>> Who knows?  Sometime in the future a common
>> desktop may appear which uses a single set of utilities and
>
>LOL.  We've _had_ common desktops - nobody wants them.  They're so ...
>common.

Chuckle.  I guess.  I see it as 'gnome' wanting to be a nanny & keep you from
shooting yourself in the foot (or higher), while 'kde' even helps you choose
the caliber of the gun you'll use.  At my age, I don't _think_ I need a nanny,
not just yet anyway, and can get quite exasperated with gnomes near constant
nagging.  And I'm _quite_ familiar with firearms, so I'm capable of making a
better selection than even kde, which doesn't question my expertise a bit.  I
sorta like it that way. ;-)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)