Jaunty Musings

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Fri May 1 20:09:19 UTC 2009

On Friday 01 May 2009 3:32:45 pm Ian L. Target wrote:
> Clay Weber wrote:
> > shift-f12 key combo to toggle). That should help a lot there for you
> >
> > There are *many* other so-called 'light' desktops. Many like Xfce
> > (Xubuntu for example). Most do not have any of the tools and features
> > that make up Ubuntu and Kubuntu, but Xubuntu is a nice balance of
> > lightness and features
>
> OK, I am a little confused.  Are you saying that if I want to use KDE
> that I am now stuck with this plasma stuff?

Kind of.
Plamsa is the name of the part of KDE  that draws the desktop, among other
things. It also manages the plasma-widgets and desktop effects, which you can
turn off or not use. Your taskbar and system tray and kmenu are plasma widgets
for example, just like all the other little tools. Desktop effects are what
usually slows down older hardware, the next thing being video drivers. My
2004-ish laptop with a 32mb ati gpu seems to do ok with desktop effects, but I
disable it if i do a lot of heavy work. I just can't live  without wobbly
windows, I think I am addicted :)

you can also switch to a 'tradiditonal' desktop layout and kmenu setup as well
if you wish

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net