KPacketKit

GreyGeek GreyGeek at earthlink.net
Fri May 1 18:18:23 UTC 2009

Brian Norman Wootton wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:

>>> At least Synaptic works. More than can be said for Kpackagekit.
>>>

> But it doesn't work _well_.  I've never found synaptic useful, and I have
> actually used it on and off ever since it was first introduced (I just
> deleted it off my system again, this morning).

Your statement is so common on forums these days.  Some people assume
that their experience, regardless of its cause, reflects *everyone's*
experience, so the software "must" be bad for everyone.

Synaptic works VERY WELL for me, so with equal conviction and proof I
could claim that it works VERY WELL for everyone.  I especially like the
dated history list which reminds me when I installed or updated any
particular application without having to do some CLI greping of the
local archive.

BTW,  I don't have a problem with KPackageKit, I just prefer the way
Synaptic looks, feels and works.  That it brings in some GNOME utilities
in order to do its job is of no concern to me.   Both the GNOME and KDE
developers are working together to assure the interoperability of their
respective desktops.  Who knows?  Sometime in the future a common
desktop may appear which uses a single set of utilities and
applications, but which are compiled from GTK+ and QT sources through a
single "translator", creating a common platform which would allow any
GPL or proprietary app to exist transparently.  I believe that such a
effort is called "The Portland Project".