linux-image-2.6.24-20-386 - which Kubuntu repository? - SOLVED - thank you.

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 22:52:41 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 31 March 2009 23:37:07 Alan Dacey wrote:
> Jonas Norlander wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 3:24 PM, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> I am trying to get Virtual Box going in Hardy.  I am currently stuck on
> >> installing the kernel image linux-image-2.6.24-20-386, which Synaptic
> >> says that it wants.  Synaptic also says that it cannot install it
> >> because the necessary repository is not in the sources.list.
> >>
> >> So which repository ought to be there?
> >>
> >> TIA
> >> Lisi
> >
> > I don't run Hardy anymore but I remember having dependencies errors
> > installing it from Ubuntu repro. Try the repro from Virtualbox.org and
> > it's much better then the OSE version in Ubuntu (Like USB support).
> > Instructions on how to enable it is on
> > http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads
> >
> > The latest kernel for Hardy looks like 2.6.24.23.25
> > https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/+source/linux-meta
> > Is your system up to date?
> >
> > / Jonas
>
> I have to agree with Jonas.  First purge ALL virtualbox stuff from the
> system then add Sun's virtualbox repository.  I've been running vbox on
> hardy since last year with no problems that way.

Thanks, guys. :-)  I used David's method in the end - partly because it came
in first, but also because virtualbox is clearly in one of the other
repositories, and I wasn't sure how to make sure that the correct one was
used.

It seems to have worked a treat.  But I did first purge everything of
virtualbox that I could find.  It then installed rapidly and easily.  And
Windows XP went on without a problem.

Lisi