Jaunty: How do you activate video acceleration?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Tue Mar 31 21:52:18 UTC 2009

marc wrote:
> Alan Dacey said...
>
>> marc wrote:
>>
>>> How do you activate video acceleration in jaunty?
>>>
>>> The installation successfully loaded the nvidia driver and I can switch
>>> drivers and call up the nvidia settings tool. So it all looks okay. I
>>> get the fading effects and so on too.
>>>
>>> OpenGL is selected in System Settings/Desktop/Advanced
>>>
>>> But, when I try to run a gl screensaver or glxgears, the graphics are
>>> very slow moving; but they are there.
>>>

>> What video card?
>>

> $ lspci says
>
> nVidia GeForce Go 6600
>
> This is a laptop. No probs with video since badger.
>

>> What driver?
>>

> I've tried 180 and 173. 96 is also an option, but I've not tried it.
> Bigger numbers being shiny and all.
>

>> What FPS in glxgears?
>>

> At what size? The default size gives me 2041 FPS. Full screen, 3.2 FPS.
>

>> What desktop settings do you have?
>>

> Type: Desktop
> Name: <blank>
> Theme: Oxygen
> Type: Image
> Picture: Air
> Positioning: Scaled
> Color (sic): <a kind of muddy blue with turquoise overtones>

I am not qualified to advise, however, my nVidia card is 9600, when I
was choosing drivers, I found that 8000 series and up were to use the
180.37 drivers and the 6000 & 7000 series' were to use the 173.  So my
guess is that the 173 is the one you should use.  When I first installed
drivers, I installed the 173 and had problems.  When I moved to the
180.37 it was like turning on a light in a dark room.  Everything got
better.  Please do not rely on my judgment, I am a newbie's newbie, but
research a bit and I am sure you will find the same result.

Steven