Jaunty: So far

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue Mar 31 21:38:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

While I'm posting questions here about my jaunty trial, and trying to be
a good citizen and filing or adding to bug reports, I appreciate that
this is slightly negative stuff, even though I'm sure, like me, many
consider this a good way to proceed.

I just wanted to report that despite the usual niggles at this stage of
development, my overriding impression of jaunty is of a big leap forward
in usability and performance.

Using Linux is always a pleasure compared to Windows, but KDE4.2 is
really fun. The new toys are genuinely useful - for the most part; some
are just toys, and no harm in that - and the stability so far has been
very good.

Next week, I plan to throw it into full development mode. My stack
includes, MySql (+ admin and query builder), php (+ phpunit), JRuby
(HEAD), glassfish, redmine, jQuery, Netbeans (dev build), cruisecontrol,
Firefox, git, svn, gvim, and a few others. That lot should give it a
good run. So far, I'm looking forward to it.

After the disaster that was 4.0, I think that 4.2 is looking like the
year of Linux on the desktop ;-)

--
Cheers,
Marc