Intel G31M/ES2L , Hard locking problems with this mainboard on 8.04

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 31 02:46:45 UTC 2009

I have a new Intel G31M / ES2L Mainboard with a
Intel quad core 2.33Ghz

when asking a certain amount of processing/disk/screen power
the system LOCK HARD.

whatever you do to minimise the load, and work the most cleanly possible.

if you click too fast asking for process (that the machine can easily execute)
then all is locked.

no kbd/mouse/net/ssh/ping/anything respond anymore,
but all is FREEZED on the screen as the last clock of the processor
let it .

the power button is the only way out.

I am using Kubuntu 8.04.2 with 2.6.24.23 kernel.

(this installation-on-disk worked well on the last
 machine it was installed to. Changing machine, to a better one
(the last was a i586/1000 dumb machine, 512M-Ram) (the new is a quad/2300/intel, 2G-Ram)
set me to a unending HARD-LOCK sequence of the system.

anytime i do something, it may lock or not.
sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes hours....

Remember this hard-disk is the same disk.
(just changed from the old to the new machine)

Someone have idea to what to check or change or ...????

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning...