Help with CD - No Medium Found

Charles T. Bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Mon Mar 30 00:24:31 UTC 2009

> Message: 1
> Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2009 06:16:47 -0400
> From: Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>
> Subject: Re: Help with CD - No Medium Found
> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Charles T. Bell wrote:
>
>>> Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:32:10 -0500
>>> From: Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com>
>>> Subject: Re: Help with CD - No Medum Found
>>> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>>>
>>> I've reached the point that the system (seems, anyway) is seeing the cd. When
>>> I try to mount it, though, I'm getting the message
>>>
>>> 	"No Medium Found".
>>>
>>> ... and yes, there is a data CD in the drive.
>>>
>>> Ideas?
>>> ---Michael
>>>

>> I don't know what others have experienced, but one day recently
>> I did have a problem with mine.  I was unable to open the disk
>> drawer to add or remove a disk and I could not get the icon with
>> a right click to "eject" the disk or open the drawer.  I cound not access
>> the disk once I had one in the drive.  After much confusion and
>> frustration I checked the permissions and found I had none.  So I
>> had to 'chmod' the cdrom in /dev to to give me permission.  After
>> that the button on the front of the drive worked, I could open the drawer
>> and close it with "eject" and all was, temporarily, right with the world!
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Tom Bell
>>

> If you ever really get stuck where you can't get the drive open, there
> is a little hole in the front, about the size to put a paper clip in.
> If you put a paper clip in the hole, you can release the door.  Just
> press a bit.
>
> Steven

Thank you Steven.  Please note that I referred to "once I had one
in the drive".  That was only possible after using the paper clip.
I have used paper clips previously, mostly when CDRoms first
came out; not so much recently.
However, I do appreciate your taking time to offer a suggestion.

Tom Bell

--
 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?  -- Decimus Iunius Iuvenalis (Juvenal), Roman Poet, late 1st, early 2nd century AD
("Who will protect us from the protectors?")