Jaunty installation of Wine.

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun Mar 29 01:30:43 UTC 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 6:56:04 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> I am following the following instructions from a forum online.

>______________________
>
> ok you are going to have to do this
>
> open up a terminal and type sudo apt-get build-dep wine
>
> while you are downloading these dependencies, you will need to
download
> the source code for wine

Http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=66459
>5
>
> after you are done with installing the dependencies in the terminal,
> open up a new one (you should extract the wine source in as the folder
> in your home folder)
>
> in the terminal type cd wine1.1.6 or whatever the folder is
>
> Then type /.configure
>
> this will take ~3 minutes
>
> after that you will need to do make
> which can take 1-3 hours, depending on you cpu
>
> after that is completed, do sudo make install
>
> just make sure you uninstalled your older version of wine just in case.

>______________________
>
> In line 5 of the above instruction, I opened a new shell.  I extracted
> the wine source into /home/steven/Desktop
>
> It's name is wine-1.1.16.tar.bz2.  At this point my inexperience has me
> stopped.  I tried cd to /home/steven/Desktop so I am currently in the
> Desktop directory, but I am confused about what to type in next.  if I
> type in /.configure, I get the response: No such file or directory.  If
> I type in wine-1.1.16.tar.bz2, I get command not found.
>
> My goal is to be able to install e-Sword in the end.  But in Jaunty, I
> have to follow the above instructions, and I am not able to understand
> the instruction.  Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong.  Thanks.
>
> Steven

No need to compile wine at all

Wine does have a Jaunty repo available, where you can get the latest
development releases. (Jaunty has the latest stable version). Scott Ritchie,
who is the maintainer for Ubuntu's wine packages, is  also the maintainer
of these packages.

http://www.winehq.org/download/deb has the info, just substitute "jaunty" in
the repo line:
deb http://wine.budgetdedicated.com/apt jaunty main

If you wish, there is a link on the page that goes to the archive where you
can manually download the deb file.

--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net