Kwallet, Kmail and Gmail.

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sat Mar 28 22:51:44 UTC 2009

Jonas Norlander wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:47 PM, Bas Roufs <basroufs at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Now the next question in this context. I discovered two possible methods
>> for the operation of a GMAIL account in Kmail: 'POP3' and 'IMAP'.  Does
>> some amongst you have experience with one of the methods or both of them?
>> > Which of them is the most practical and secure one?
>
> I think that the most practical is IMAP, the only drawback for me is
> that Kmail has some performance problem. I dont know if its just with
> Gmail.

It's really a matter of preference.

IMAP leaves all the mails ON the gmail server (not necessarily a bad thing -
now you have an offsite backup), POP downloads everything to your system.

IMAP will _always_ be slower than POP - there's a lot of traffic going both
directions, where POP is almost entirely one way data transfer.

Both would be equally secure - since you use exactly the same methods of
authentication and the same SSL certificates.  I would consider them
equally practical.
--
derek