Jaunty installation of Wine.

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 23:19:17 UTC 2009

2009/3/29 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:
> I am following the following instructions from a forum online.
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> ok you are going to have to do this
>
> open up a terminal and type sudo apt-get build-dep wine
>
> while you are downloading these dependencies, you will need to download
> the source code for wine
>
> Http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=6241&package_id=664595
>
> after you are done with installing the dependencies in the terminal,
> open up a new one (you should extract the wine source in as the folder
> in your home folder)
>
> in the terminal type cd wine1.1.6 or whatever the folder is

here it is, very clear. you cd into the directory of wine. you said
you extracted them in Desktop, what is the nme of the folder you
extracted to? you need to cd there.

> Then type /.configure
>
> this will take ~3 minutes
>
> after that you will need to do make
> which can take 1-3 hours, depending on you cpu
>
> after that is completed, do sudo make install
>
> just make sure you uninstalled your older version of wine just in case.
>
> _________________________________________________________________________________________________
>
> In line 5 of the above instruction, I opened a new shell.  I extracted
> the wine source into /home/steven/Desktop
>
> It's name is wine-1.1.16.tar.bz2.  At this point my inexperience has me
> stopped.  I tried cd to /home/steven/Desktop so I am currently in the
> Desktop directory, but I am confused about what to type in next.  if I
> type in /.configure, I get the response: No such file or directory.  If
> I type in wine-1.1.16.tar.bz2, I get command not found.
>
> My goal is to be able to install e-Sword in the end.  But in Jaunty, I
> have to follow the above instructions, and I am not able to understand
> the instruction.  Can anyone explain what I am doing wrong.  Thanks.
>
> Steven

but in all cases, i think this is all very complex. is it absolutely
necessary to build wine from source code?

sudo apt-get install wine

will install wine, and very much simpler.
but as have other ppl recommended earlier, Steven, please study some
Linux manual, it's important to know how to cd and ls before even
using them :) there's plenty of crash courses out there, just grab one
and read it :)

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems