Kwallet, Kmail and Gmail.

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Fri Mar 27 16:38:39 UTC 2009

Bas Roufs wrote:

> Probably I made some mistake because of which I half-consciously created a
> 'master password' I cannot reconstruct any more. On the other hand,
> KWALLET looks like quite useful security software. So, I would like to get
> started with it.

That's exactly it.  Wallet doesn't strictly take a password, it takes
a 'pass phrase' (there's no obvious difference, but when you think "pass
phrase" you realize you're talking about encrypted storage).  It's always
separate from your user password (unless you do something silly like set
them to the same value).

> When I try to access KWALLET via K >> APPLICATIONS >> Settings, I do see
> the KWALLET package. But when I click on it, nothing happens. Also other
> possible ways to get KWALLET started do not work: not via ALT-F2- command
> "kwallet".

It's kwalletmanager, not kwallet, and it probably did work but the wallet is
in the System Tray (and, on my system, invariably hidden).  Click on the
arrow at the left of the system tray, and it should appear, then click on
the wallet icon).

> Do I perhaps need to UNinstall and afterwords RE-install KWALLET?

No.  You may need to create a new wallet though, and set it to be the
default, if you can't figure out your wallet password.

--
derek