Dud wireless internet connection

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Thu Mar 26 21:52:05 UTC 2009

Brian Wootton wrote:
> I've just fitted a 54Mhz PCI wireless card to but cannot get any
> joy with Kwlan or iwconfig/ifconfig, can someone put me out
> of my misery with a list of instructions to get the connection up
> and running. My router is set up with WEP security but Kwlan
> wlan0 will not let me set any key in.

Unless you have a rather old version of Kubuntu, the default
installation uses Knetworkmanager and not Kwlan. If you start
knetworkmanager from the menu you get a new icon in the panel. Right
click on the icon. There should be a line with your network name. Click
on that line and knetworkmanager will ask for the key.

However some people have problems with Knetworkmanager and prefer Wicd:
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WICD>

Nils