New to Linux

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 07:19:35 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 3:23 AM, Howard Coles Jr. <dhcolesj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009 11:13:13 pm Terrell Prudé Jr. wrote:
>> Knapp wrote:

>> > I love Kubuntu but check out this mondays distrowatch weekly. They
>> > have a bit about something called tiny core linux. It might fit you
>> > well and if you work with them as they bring out this new distro you
>> > will learn a lot also. It is not the easy path but it might be a great
>> > one for a slower computer with little memory and an owner that wants
>> > to learn.
>> > http://distrowatch.com/
>> >
>> > I would also recommend Gentoo for learning about Linux in detail. Do a
>> > full minimal install. It might drive you crazy but you will learn lots
>> > and your end system will be very small and very fast. You might want
>> > to duel boot so that you have the Gentoo system to learn with and
>> > something that just works for using. There are many forms of linux,
>> > search Distrowatch using the advanced search for something that will
>> > work with your computer.
>>
>> I disagree here.  Gentoo is most certainly for the already-Linux-savvy.
>> He can pick up Gentoo at some later point when he's more comfortable
>> with GNU/Linux generally.  He needs something that "Just Works" right
>> out of the box, and the various Ubuntu variants are excellent choices
>> for that task.  And as for changing distros to this "Tiny Core Linux,"
>> I'm sure it's a fine distro, but again, the whole point of *ubuntu is to
>> make the path *easier* for new GNU/Linux users.  And I say that as
>> primarily a Slackware user who recommends *ubuntu to new GNU/Linux users.
>>
>> All he needs is some DRAM, for God's sake, not a new distro!
>>

> +1 here.
>
> I think for someone who has never used a Linux Distro before something Like
> Ubuntu, or something along those lines (Like Mandriva, SUSE, etc.) is a great
> way to get started.  It lets you learn how to use the OS, which is what really
> gets you hooked anyway.  Then when you want to really be adventurous you can
> move up to Pure Debian, Sidux, or Gentoo, or even Linux from Scratch (which
> has a fairly nice book to help you along).  If you try to start off with Gentoo
> you are going to wind up very frustrated and probably returning to windoze,
> unless you are very determined.
>
> However, there are some "just works" distros that work with shortages in the
> RAM, CPU, and / or Disk space.  Puppy Linux, is one I think.  (I've never run
> it, but a Google search, and a search around DistroWatch will help you there).

Easy to use and small. Xubuntu, Puppy (don't like), DSL (Damn Small
Linux), Vector, zenwalk. I would also note that Xubuntu is not that
small but if you start cutting bits out then you can have a slim
system. Also with and Ubuntu on a small system, install with the alt
disk.

As to Gentoo, please note that I said to duel boot with something else
for times when it does not work. Also it is not that hard to use, you
just need to read. He said he want to learn and that is the best way
that I know of to do it.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?