Multimedia problem.

stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 25 23:19:32 UTC 2009

> Steven,
>
> to me, this does not look like an Jaunty problem, since you made up the
> files on
> another computer which did not have Jaunty. You can check back by
> playing the files
> on a computer without alpha software.

They actually play fine  on the old box.  This is new with Jaunty.
> However, once again, you should not expect that people will be able to
> help you, when you are using alpha software.

I realize that, however, should I not ask?  I won't if it is improper.
> As fist half is ok and second half it out of sink, my wild, but
> hopefully educated guess is that the conversion that you made, might
> have added a bit of tone delay to the converted part of the movie(s).

The combined .avi's play the same on both applications both have proper
sink on the first half, both are out of sink on the second half.  The
videos that are affected are the regular complete downloads that have
not been merged.  They play in sink during the first part of the film
and gradually lose sink more and more as the play proceeds.  It is like
they are a part of a second out of sink which gradually increases the
gap the longer it plays.  At the end of the movie, the mouths will move
for a complete statement and stop before the voice catches up to the sound.

I didn't just choose Jaunty Alpha, it was recommended for two reasons.
It is the only application with support for my 780a nvidia chip on my
motherboard, and it had more perfected drivers for my 9600 Gforce video
card.  Intrepid 64 still had problems with nvidia that seemed resolved
in Jaunty 64bit.  Additionally Jaunty resolved the 4gb memory problem.
I have 8gb and all are recognized and performing well in Jaunty.
Additionally I was told that with his experience, Jaunty was the better
application for my need.  Should I have not taken the advice?   With my
most current problem with video drivers, it was a bit traumatic, because
I couldn't fix without help, nonetheless, Nils gave me 3 code
instructions and it was fine.

 From what I am hearing, a few people think I shouldn't use Jaunty
Alpha, but it is still less a problem than Intrepid was.  As far as
Jaunty being over my head, shoot, Feisty still is.  I don't see the
difference in that respect.  Things are slowly changing, because while I
could not boot to a working screen, I remembered how to Ctrl+Alt+f1 to
get a shell, and I was able to get the most recent upgrades and updates
installed before I contacted Nils.  That surprised me.  With just a
little more knowledge, I could have resolved that problem myself.

I wish you could hear the audio now and see the video.  I have never
experienced anything so excellent.  With the exception of the crash when
the new driver update came, the other problems do not really affect my
use.  Is it preferred that I don't ask for help when I do experience a
problem with  Jaunty?  If I shouldn't be asking help, I will stop, but I
wouldn't know what to change to with the new box.  Jaunty seems the only
application that suits the new box's particular needs.  I will do
whatever you say, Eberhard, I just don't understand why I shouldn't use
Jaunty.  But if my using it is causing any unnecessary problem with the
list, I will install whatever you suggest and wait for the final issue
of Jaunty.  I will cooperate.  Both you and the moderator are people I
highly respect, and you are the two people who think I should change
OS's.  I am ready; which one do you recommend?  Most cordially, my friend.

Another thought:  Perhaps you are confusing my build of the old box for
Robert.  I tried Xubuntu for that machine, however, after installing it,
I would lose the GUI in about an hour.  I uninstalled twice receiving
the same result.  I now have Intrepid 32bit  installed for him.  I did
not install Jaunty 32bit.  But my personal experience with the two OS's
is that Jaunty 32bit is probably the better choice, but out of respect
for you and the moderator, I installed Intrepid.  The problems I
experience with the old box were with Xubuntu.  Once I learn how to make
a virtual box, I would like to try Xubuntu again to see if I could get
it to function on the 64bit box as a 32 bit application.  It sounds like
a better application for Robert;  maybe I have a bad disk.  It checked
out perfect when I wrote it, though.  I am certainly not resisting you,
though.  I hope  you know that.

Steven