Decent Download Manager

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 07:35:38 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-24 at 18:37 +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:

> The main downside with the Flashgot plugin, is that it seems to have updates
> every 5 minutes, and if you let it update, it then takes you to it's website.
> Flashgot is usefull in having a download menu item to use Kget, but I've got
> into the habit of pressing "Skip", whenever I see that there is yet another
> Flashgot update.
>
> I've used wget, but can't comment on your question, as I've not enough
> experience with it.

rpm and yum suffer the same problem, which drove me bananas since
zmodem, with auto-resume, has been around since the dark ages of BBS's.
So I bitched until I turned blue to no avail with RedHat, as I had a
dialup account, too. Yum-update made me crazy, watching it have fits
with dropped carrier. I guess everyone is supposed to have full
fiber-optic connect to the net, or you just don't count, you bum! The
problem with new young techies is that they have not suffered as we did
back when enough to have the lessons of the old days in their
fore-brains, so they develop crap that could just as easy have the old
fall-back features that the rest of the net bandwidth challenged needs.
Auto-resume should be a must-feature to any thing that downloads and
calls itself a manager. :) Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987