New to Linux

"Terrell Prudé Jr." microman at cmosnetworks.com
Wed Mar 25 04:13:13 UTC 2009

Knapp wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 9:37 PM, Matthew Flaschen
> <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>
>> Mario Andes wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Samir,
>>>
>>> as you have recognized, linux or unix systems in general let you be freetoi decide
>>> what you need, get what you need.
>>>
>>> With a CPU like yours almost everything is possible ;-)
>>> You could put more memory in your PC and (K)Ubuntu will run better than now.
>>> But linux systems as they are like unix systems (files are handled differently)
>>> don't need much memory to work.
>>>
>> Exactly how do you think a UNIX-style filesystem allow you to use
>> significantly less memory for applications?
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> I love Kubuntu but check out this mondays distrowatch weekly. They
> have a bit about something called tiny core linux. It might fit you
> well and if you work with them as they bring out this new distro you
> will learn a lot also. It is not the easy path but it might be a great
> one for a slower computer with little memory and an owner that wants
> to learn.
> http://distrowatch.com/
>
> I would also recommend Gentoo for learning about Linux in detail. Do a
> full minimal install. It might drive you crazy but you will learn lots
> and your end system will be very small and very fast. You might want
> to duel boot so that you have the Gentoo system to learn with and
> something that just works for using. There are many forms of linux,
> search Distrowatch using the advanced search for something that will
> work with your computer.

I disagree here.  Gentoo is most certainly for the already-Linux-savvy.
He can pick up Gentoo at some later point when he's more comfortable
with GNU/Linux generally.  He needs something that "Just Works" right
out of the box, and the various Ubuntu variants are excellent choices
for that task.  And as for changing distros to this "Tiny Core Linux,"
I'm sure it's a fine distro, but again, the whole point of *ubuntu is to
make the path *easier* for new GNU/Linux users.  And I say that as
primarily a Slackware user who recommends *ubuntu to new GNU/Linux users.

All he needs is some DRAM, for God's sake, not a new distro!

--TP
Do you GNU <http://www.gnu.org>?
Microsoft Free since 2003 <http://www.cmosnetworks.com>--the ultimate
antivirus protection!