New to Linux

Martin Laberge mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 24 22:24:32 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 17:54:19 Mario Andes wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:37:28 +0100, Matthew Flaschen <matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
>
> > Mario Andes wrote:
> >> Hi Samir,
> >>
> >> as you have recognized, linux or unix systems in general let you be
> >> freetoi decide
> >> what you need, get what you need.
> >>
> >> With a CPU like yours almost everything is possible ;-)
> >> You could put more memory in your PC and (K)Ubuntu will run better than
> >> now.
> >> But linux systems as they are like unix systems (files are handled
> >> differently)
> >> don't need much memory to work.
> >
> > Exactly how do you think a UNIX-style filesystem allow you to use
> > significantly less memory for applications?
> >
> > Matt Flaschen
> >
> I don't think unix systems need less memory in general for applications!
> But as their structure is based on modules they are much more flexible.
>
> The whole philosophy of unix is its simple structure. Everything is represented
> by files: memory, devices, interfaces. There are character devices and block devices.
> As system memory isn't infinite a swap mechanism always is used to make it possible
> to handle files of every size.
>
> Hard disks are large files too. That's to say the only thing a unix system
> can do excellently is to handle files. Many modules integrated in a unix system
> can be combined to do virtually everything.
>
> F.e. freebsd is a good example for these OS.
>
> Linux systems work very similarly but accept different file types.
>
> This philosophy makes it possible to build small systems and small applications.
> strict time sharing is the base of multitasking multi user implementations.
>
> Systems starting with "W" or "V" ;-) are extremely difficult! Everything has to
> be programmed differently. And Murphy's law is the only thing without a bug...
>
> Mario

> Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 2.6.27-13-generic

You mean probably something beginning with Wind?
maybe with Windows
probably with win32 systems

So I understood you were talking about these virus-prone systems.

Sorry, I have no experience in curing those systems.
I recommend to use a U???X system ,

you would be safer inside, outside, and in your soul....

The better advice to someone I could give. : Just forget those WinXXXXX systems

Any UN??????IX system just beat them one hand tied in back.
A Linux system, may beat them with two hands tied in the back.

Use a flawed system and endure, or use a right system.
Your choice is here.

(PS: the right system do not begin with a Wind.... but with a Lin...)
Now, do the right thing, or do not bother us with these Win?S problems.

(IE: I just dont care about a windows system going wrong, it is just normal doing)

--
Martin Laberge
mlsoft at videotron.ca
Tel:(418)521-6823
30 Years of Unix Admin, and still learning...