Decent Download Manager

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Tue Mar 24 17:37:00 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 18:08, Willy Hamra wrote:
> Steven's email earlier reminded me of this question.
> is there any decent Download Manager in the world of Linux? i have a
> horrible connection, goes off and on a lot during the day, which makes
> it impossible for me to download any large file with no resume
> capability.
> i've seen quite a bunch of DMs so far, and they all fail horribly to
> resume. kget in many times, and for no reson or warning, would start
> from begining after days and days of downloading some DVD. the best DM
> i've seen so far is the "Internet Download Manager" for windows. it
> has all the functionalities i need. pause/resume, warns if file size
> on server changed. if anything goes wrong, warns before restarting the
> file. in many times it would only be a connection error, and the
> download is still ersumable if i try again, other DMs just start from
> 0 with no warning. and it's GUI is really neat. unfortunately, it's
> not free, and windows only. and have problems running under wine.
> so is there anything similar for linux?
> blieve it or not, i've been using wget for the past few months since
> it does resume after an interruption, but i have no idea how to let it
> download something sequentially, like stop it now, and ask it to
> resume a certain link on this certain partially downloaded file. can
> wget do such thing?
>
> --
> Willy K. Hamra
> Manager of Hamra Information Systems
> Co. Manager of Zeina Computers and Billy Net.

Myself, I use Kget integrated into Konqueror, and Kget does have resume
support. By default IIRC Kget  automatically tries to re-connect up to 10
times, if there are problems at the server end. I've upped that to 30 times,
as I'm on dialup, and big downloads take forever.

On firefox I've installed the Flashgot plugin, as Firefox's default downloader
does not have resume support, unless that has changed. Flashgot when you go
to download, gives you an option to use Kget.

The main downside with the Flashgot plugin, is that it seems to have updates
every 5 minutes, and if you let it update, it then takes you to it's website.
Flashgot is usefull in having a download menu item to use Kget, but I've got
into the habit of pressing "Skip", whenever I see that there is yet another
Flashgot update.

I've used wget, but can't comment on your question, as I've not enough
experience with it.

Nigel.