New to Linux

Mario Andes multilingus at gmx.de
Tue Mar 24 14:35:52 UTC 2009

Hi Samir,

as you have recognized, linux or unix systems in general let you be freetoi decide
what you need, get what you need.

With a CPU like yours almost everything is possible ;-)
You could put more memory in your PC and (K)Ubuntu will run better than now.
But linux systems as they are like unix systems (files are handled differently)
don't need much memory to work. Embedded linux systems are even smaller and work
well in devices where you do not expect it.

Greetings
Mario

On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 14:46:39 +0100, Samir Shrestha <samirshrest at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am Samir form India. I have been using computers since I was in 5th
> grade
> that is when I knew and learnt about Windows. After years of usage I
> still
> found windows to be a mere illusion which look good but hurts lot. That
> is
> when I came I learnt about unix and came in touch with Mac, which made me
> realize that ' the best co-existed with average '.  Mac OS X Leopard has
> been a revolution and taught me to be ' free ' in true terms. But Linux
> has
> really given me a new sense of freedom. I totally advocate the philosophy
> and ideology of Linux users, developers and forums. Honestly, I am pretty
> new to Linux but want to learn to learn more and be a part of this team.
> tried to use Kubuntu, unfortunately my old PC could not run it so I had
> settle down with Ubuntu which is marvelous. I want to explore Linux and
> will
> need support from you guys.
>
> Is this the right place to put up my questions..
> I want to know can I install and run Ubuntu 8.10 and Kubuntu in my
> Pentium
> (4) 2.8GHz dual core with 256MB RAM PC.
>
> Felicitations
>
> Samir Shrestha

Ubuntu 8.10 (intrepid) 2.6.27-13-generic