Proper use of junk mail feature?

Billie Erin Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sun Mar 22 13:54:48 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
>
>> Steven Vollom wrote:
>>

>>> I am getting unwanted mail, for the first time in large quantities.  In
>>> Thunderbird, I click on the flame button to identify and allow TBird to
>>> learn.  If that is the correct process, what do I do with the unwanted
>>> mail?  Must I keep a folder containing the junk or does the flame
>>> reference provide the proper teaching tool for TBird? Or does the
>>> learning tool require that I keep junk in a folder to be able to
>>> remember it is junk?
>>>
>>> If I mark an address as junk, is there a way to have the marked email go
>>> to the appropriate folder automatically once identified as junk ? Where
>>> is the best place to locate the folder?  Or can I just delete it after
>>> it has been identified?  If deleting it is the best solution, can this
>>> be accomplished automatically deleting the item once it has been
>>> identified as junk?
>>>
>>> I don't know how this feature works, and my search hasn't shown the
>>> answer.  I am learning how to post my questions better now and have
>>> failed on this one.  TIA.
>>>
>>> Steven
>>>

>> In Thunderbird:
>>
>> Edit > Preferences > Privacy tab > Junk tab
>>
>> Make your choices
>>
>> Edit > Account Settings > (You account) > Junk Mail in both places
>>
>> Make your settings.
>>

> Thanks Billie, I did that, but am confused whether to move to a folder
> or delete, of the two choices.  If I choose to delete, do I lose the
> learning protection?  I chose the other option to go to a folder, in
> case that was necessary to have the filter work properly, but I actually
> would prefer deleting them if they are still remembered as junk.  I hope
> I am making myself clear.  Thanks friend.
>
> Steven
>

>From the Inbox what Thunderbird _thinks_ is junk I have sent to the "Junk" folder. That way I can look everyday and make sure there isn't something in there that I really want to see [ false positives ]. I can mark any false positives and then delete everything.

I set whatever I _mark_ as junk be sent straight to the trash.

Your SBCGLOBAL/ATT/Yahoo webmail box also has a good spam filter. I took the time to train it also. It catches two or three hundred a day all by itself. Then all I have to deal with is what gets past ATT/Yahoo.

If you check it before it's downloaded to your machine everyday for a week or so and tell it what's obviously junk it will filter it before you ever see it. Just look at the subjects and senders to pick out the junk mail. Here again you have to go back every once in a while to check for false positives [ I check every two or three months ]. It's time consuming but if you take the time it can be worth it.

--

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.