Proper use of junk mail feature?

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun Mar 22 11:55:25 UTC 2009

Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> I am getting unwanted mail, for the first time in large quantities.  In
>> Thunderbird, I click on the flame button to identify and allow TBird to
>> learn.  If that is the correct process, what do I do with the unwanted
>> mail?  Must I keep a folder containing the junk or does the flame
>> reference provide the proper teaching tool for TBird? Or does the
>> learning tool require that I keep junk in a folder to be able to
>> remember it is junk?
>>
>> If I mark an address as junk, is there a way to have the marked email go
>> to the appropriate folder automatically once identified as junk ? Where
>> is the best place to locate the folder?  Or can I just delete it after
>> it has been identified?  If deleting it is the best solution, can this
>> be accomplished automatically deleting the item once it has been
>> identified as junk?
>>
>> I don't know how this feature works, and my search hasn't shown the
>> answer.  I am learning how to post my questions better now and have
>> failed on this one.  TIA.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> In Thunderbird:
>
> Edit > Preferences > Privacy tab > Junk tab
>
> Make your choices
>
> Edit > Account Settings > (You account) > Junk Mail in both places
>
> Make your settings.

Thanks Billie, I did that, but am confused whether to move to a folder
or delete, of the two choices.  If I choose to delete, do I lose the
learning protection?  I chose the other option to go to a folder, in
case that was necessary to have the filter work properly, but I actually
would prefer deleting them if they are still remembered as junk.  I hope
I am making myself clear.  Thanks friend.

Steven