URL in message does not work. RESOLVED

Lisi Reisz lisi.reisz at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 20:04:16 UTC 2009

On Friday 20 March 2009 19:37:58 Ignazio Palmisano wrote:

> > installed Firefox.  I am glad it works, however I have no idea what made
> > it happen.

Thunderbird (an email client) was calling Firefox (a browser), but it didn't
work because Firefox wasn't there.  You installed Firefox.  Now when
Thunderbird calls Firefox, Firefox is there and so it opens.

Dotan is right.  You really do need to learn how to use Google and Wikipedia.
Learn Google first because asking about something in Google often brings up a
link to an entry in Wikipedia, but the reverse is not true.

Google is a search engine.  There is no point in giving it a whole sentence.
You were trying to find out what Firefox and Thunderbird were.  So just put
the one word.  Put only key words.  It is easier on the typing fingers!

Contrary to what one would expect, the advanced setting is actually easier to
use than the basic one, so I would advise, anyhow initially, clicking on
<advanced> and using the guidance it gives you.  Then watch what it puts as
search terms in the search window and learn from it what you could have put.

In general, you will get more sympathetic responses to your requests for help
if you can say what you have already done to help yourself.  Otherwise you
risk being told to RTFM.  And no, I can't translate for you!  There are words
that nicely brought up young ladies did not say in the dim and distant past
when I was young. ;-)  Ask a computer literate male friend.  Or, even better,
Google it.  It came out first in the list when I looked just now.

HTH
Lisi