Is there something like the old XF86Setup package out there? Text mode?

Justin eqisow at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 21:12:12 UTC 2009

Does 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' not work any more?

How about nvidia-xconfig?

Worst case, grab an Arch FTP ISO. It has an excellent xorg.conf creator.

Use /arch/setup to configure your network interface
pacman -Sy xorg hwd
hwd -x
Xorg -configure

That will give you two different xorg.conf files to try.

You will want to change the drivers from vesa whenever you import the file
to ubuntu.