Restricted extras installed, but movie doesn't play audio Jaunty Alpha 6 KDE

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 17:51:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 10:47 +0100, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Steven,
>
> On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 09:49, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > I had already installed kubuntu-restricted-extras, so when I tried to
> > play a movie, I expected it to work.  Video is perfect but no audio and
> > no mutes on anything.  Mixer settings seem right.
>
> It might as well be a bug. Did you search the bugs database at launchpad?
>
> Be aware that running alpha software is not meant for a productive
> system nor for basic users as there are quite some glitches and bugs
> that might appear during the development. Maybe just be patient and
> think next time before you install alpha software ...
>
> > I was notified that there are 76 upgrades when I checked to make sure
> > extras were installed.  It said the latest version, but the 76 upgrades
> > stumped me.  Additionally there are at least 15 uninstalled updates or
> > upgrades shown in the package manager.  It looks like a permissions
> > thing, but that is over my inexperienced head.  Anyone have any ideas
> > for a cure?  TIA
>
> See my above comment. Having 30-50 upgradeable packages a day in an
> alpha system is normal. Again, I don't know who suggested you should
> install Jaunty, but it was certainly not a good advice.
>
> So, be patient, expect to have things that will break even if it
> worked before. The beta release should be up for testing on March 26th
> which will be more stable.

Whoever suggested this particular newbie install an alpha should be
shot. The list will be crammed for days and it is getting old. Someone
might as well given him a virus instead, as it'll be the same effect.

Steven, please don't say you don't know better. If you don't know your
own limitations then Linux may not be for you. Power and Authority over
ones system also includes an attendant amount of Responsibility.  Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987