Is there something like the old XF86Setup package out there? Text mode?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 17:40:25 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-03-19 at 04:37 -0400, Steven Vollom wrote:

> I am just thinking you may want to consider Xubuntu Jaunty alpha.  It is
> less problematic than either Hardy or Intrepid, in my opinion, and is a
> dream when installing things.  I hope this is not a presumption.
>
> Steven

Thanx Steven, I doubt though that it would solve the problems of old
iron and KDE is way too top heavy for a P-II with a Cyrix processor.
What I intended to do was install Kubuntu then load a lightweight
desktop on instead. Then I'd have the latest apps. But, it looks like
Xorg is headed down another path towards keeping the user out of the
loop for "ease of use".

Again, the installer found my video and mouse just fine and installed in
graphical mode. It crapped out on rebooting the new install. Same thing
happened to it with Hardy as well, although I finally managed to get it
up and running, if only precariously. Nope, it seems to get worse
instead of better. <sighs> I've been installing Linux since the 12 disk
floppy set dark ages and it's not the same anymore. I think in some
aspects it has gotten worse without the tool sets for text mode that we
used to have. <moans> Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987