Restricted extras installed, but movie doesn't play audio Jaunty Alpha 6 KDE

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 19 08:49:07 UTC 2009

I had already installed kubuntu-restricted-extras, so when I tried to
play a movie, I expected it to work.  Video is perfect but no audio and
no mutes on anything.  Mixer settings seem right.

I was notified that there are 76 upgrades when I checked to make sure
extras were installed.  It said the latest version, but the 76 upgrades
stumped me.  Additionally there are at least 15 uninstalled updates or
upgrades shown in the package manager.  It looks like a permissions
thing, but that is over my inexperienced head.  Anyone have any ideas
for a cure?  TIA

Steven