Is there something like the old XF86Setup package out there? Text mode?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 07:04:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-03-18 at 12:39 -0400, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Ric Moore wrote:
> > I'm having huge problems getting Mom's Machine (an old E-Machine) to
> > come up with working video and mouse. What I would like to have is
> > something like the old XF86Setup utility that would present me with some
> > choices to automagically set up xorg.conf, in text mode. The machine has
> > a builtin ATI Rage 64meg chipset to handle video, which is stealing
> > memory from the machine. The mouse is a standard old timey two-button
> > with a scroll wheel, plugged into the mouse port. This USED to be easy
> > to set up and now running 8.10 is isn't. If I can get it to run, I'll
> > probably put a light-weight desktop on it, like XFCE or something. Any
> > one have the whereabouts of what I need?? Thanks! Yes, I have looked
> > high and low to no avail. Ric
>
> I would load up  XFCE and see how it goes.   There are some limited tools in
> XFCE for setting video resolution.  And beyond that, you can do some MODE
> settings in xorg.conf.
>
> I just set up XFCE on an eee PC and it runs quite well and I get the
> normal/default screen settings.

Well, this is an old machine that Mom handed off to me. I remember when
she bought it that I was jealous as heck. Now it's aging iron. During
the install, I did it using graphical mode and everything worked just
fine, until it was done and rebooted. Now it locks up at the point the
screen does graphics, both the mouse and keyboard will not respond. But,
I can use text mode just fine. This new scheme of xorg.conf just ain't
cutting it, so I'll hand edit it, if I have to. I was hoping to find
something that would assist me in making good choices as the old
XF86config program used to do. This machine has ps2 ports for both the
keyboard and mouse. Worse comes to worse, I'll jam FC5 on it. Yes, I did
disable support for USB keyboard and mouse use in the bios. That didn't
work.

Poor ole "Mom's Machine". <grins> Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/