Problematic dual boot

tom bell cbell44 at cfl.rr.com
Thu Mar 19 05:06:55 UTC 2009

On 03/17/2009 kubuntu-users-request at lists.ubuntu.com scribbled:
> Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 23:52:16 +0000
> From: Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz at gmail.com>
> Subject: Problematic dual boot
> To: Kubuntu Help and User Discussions <kubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com>
>
> Good evening all!
> Sorry - the bad penny has turned up again....  ;-)
>
> The dual boot is XP/Kubuntu Hardy Heron.  One runs perfectly, the other has a
> very persistent virus that can, surprise, surprise, disable virus scanners.
> I don't need to tell you which is which.
>
> The owner has given me complete carte blanche.  "Do whatever you think needs
> doing."  A bit nerve-wracking.  ;-)
>
> As I said, his Kubuntu is running beautifully and has been thro' several
> upgrades and a year or two.
>
> XP has been left alone to sulk.  But now there is a must-have
> Windows-or-Mac-only application.
>
> I have tried to repair XP.  I have tried to rid it of viruses.  But no luck so
> far, and I am running out of time.  (I have a deadline.)  So I need to start
> looking at other options.
>
> His system is:  AMD Athlon 64 3500+; FoxconnK8m89OM2MB-RS2H motherboard; 1
> stick of 512MB RAM.
>
> I am looking at reinstalling XP, while trying to leave Kubuntu alone, which
> could mess up the MBR; or telling him that he needs more RAM and using
> Virtual Box.
>
> As a long term solution the second seems to me to be the better, but it would
> mean missing his deadline and returning the box and having it back again
> and - and more seriously - I have never actually installed VB, and cannot do
> what I would normally do in this situation and install it on my own box first
> because my box is not up to it.
>
> What would you lot advise?  Or what would you do in my shoes?  If installing
> XP with the Kubuntu partition as it is now would indeed, as I suspect, muck
> up the MBR so that Kubuntu became inaccessible, how easy would that be to
> fix?  And how would I fix it?  And am I right in thinking that, with more
> memory his system would be powerful enough for VB.  The maximum RAM his board
> can handle is apparently 2 GB.
>
> As a last resort I have permission to reinstall the lot if I deem it
> necessary, but am reluctant to do so when Kubuntu is running so well and when
> he will inevitably have tweaked it in many small ways over time.
>
> TIA
> Lisi

In situations where someone loses their ability to dual boot because
Windoze takes back the MBR, I recommend Super GRUB.  You can download an
ISO at : http://forjamari.linex.org/frs/?group_id=61
It has many features and is free, of course.
Good luck!

Tom Bell
--
“Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?” - Juvenal, Roman poet, circa late 1st
and late 2nd centuries.