Thanks for the Virus.

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 10:30:01 UTC 2009

>>> How about just using CTL-ALT-F1 and then using the command line to fix
>>> the problem?
>>
>> Depending on what the problem is, that may not be feasible for the
>> skill level of the user.
>
> I agree that the change is stupid but then they are making the system
> for stupid people it would seem. The smart ones will do fine but the
> in between will have to suffer.

That's the point that I am making: To Ctrl-Alt-F1 into a terminal,
diagnose what is hanging X, and the to fix it may be above the skill
level of the user. It is above my skill level, in any case. C-A-B
works fine in those situations.

In other words, this change is making the system harder to use for
noobs. Let me ask this: a noob is using the computer and the Xserver
hangs. What can he do now?

The only good that I see in this is that more bugs will be filed
against applications that hang X, potentially improving the system's
stability in the long run. In the short run, there will be a lot of
hung machines with the user having no choice but to pull the plug.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

ا-ب-ت-ث-ج-ح-خ-د-ذ-ر-ز-س-ش-ص-ض-ط-ظ-ع-غ-ف-ق-ك-ل-م-ن-ه‍-و-ي
А-Б-В-Г-Д-Е-Ё-Ж-З-И-Й-К-Л-М-Н-О-П-Р-С-Т-У-Ф-Х-Ц-Ч-Ш-Щ-Ъ-Ы-Ь-Э-Ю-Я
ä-ö-ü-ß-Ä-Ö-Ü