Is there something like the old XF86Setup package out there? Text mode?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 07:12:13 UTC 2009

I'm having huge problems getting Mom's Machine (an old E-Machine) to
come up with working video and mouse. What I would like to have is
something like the old XF86Setup utility that would present me with some
choices to automagically set up xorg.conf, in text mode. The machine has
a builtin ATI Rage 64meg chipset to handle video, which is stealing
memory from the machine. The mouse is a standard old timey two-button
with a scroll wheel, plugged into the mouse port. This USED to be easy
to set up and now running 8.10 is isn't. If I can get it to run, I'll
probably put a light-weight desktop on it, like XFCE or something. Any
one have the whereabouts of what I need?? Thanks! Yes, I have looked
high and low to no avail. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987