Using Kmail to send mail through Gmail

Howard Coles Jr. dhcolesj at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 23:30:02 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 10:06:32 am Derek Broughton wrote:
> David Fletcher wrote:
> > On Tuesday 17 Mar 2009, Jonas Norlander wrote:
> >> I have already sorted it out now. For some reason it had changed from
> >> TLS to SSL. Are you sure you are using port 465? The official port
> >> from the google documentation say it should be 587.
> >
> > 587 is, I believe, the usual "alternate" SMTP port number, for use with
> > gmail, 1&1 etc. accounts with ISPs who block outgoing port 25.
>
> And I'm reasonably certain gmail permits both (though I can't check from
> here because _this_ site blocks all three ports, and practically everything
> else that isn't SSH, HTTP or HTTPS).  One is ssmtp, the other is smtp with
> TLS.
>
> --
> derek
From Gmail's how to page:

Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995

Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use
authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL)
Port: 465 or 587
Account Name:  your full email address (including @gmail.com or
@your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username at gmail.com or
username at your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password

So, I guess they do allow both.  I forgot about the 587 one.

--
See Ya'
Howard Coles Jr.