Thanks for the Virus.

John Culleton john at wexfordpress.com
Tue Mar 17 13:16:49 GMT 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 02:18:45 am Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> The only Windows in my box is Wine.
>
> My only Windows program is e-Sword.  I purchased some
> DVD's and the seller has many times agreed to take me off
> his list, but He is a bother, but I purchases from him.
> There is Costco, I used to be a member. Hewlett Packard,
> I asked support from and won't honor their no ad policy.
> Ebay does not bug me.
>
> Just after this problem regarding too many posts, I get
> lawyers from all over the world with money to give away,
> just looking for a responsible party to help them handle
> large amounts of cash.  All types of multi product
> sellers.  Trips for sale.  Health issues for sale.  I
> can't remember any more at the moment but it is not even
> close to the list of similar junk.  I also purchased from
> Newegg, but they never bother me with any ads.
>
> >> Not all Wine users have this on their radar, but Wine
> >> has long been good enough that it can run - and be
> >> infected by - most Win32 malware.
> >>
> >> I tried to make the extras software from my new
> >> motherboard to work.  ASUS M3N-HT Mempipe.  Just read
> >> the benefits and you will understand why I tried.
> >> There may be something else, but I don't remember
> >> anything else.  But my memory is poor.  Still I don't
> >> think so.
> >>
> >> WRT your original problem, there's not enough hard
> >> data there to diagnose what it might be,
>
> With no applications running, I clicked on the Kmenu
> button, it took almost a minute to provide the list.  I
> had already clicked the home button next to it, to see if
> anything would run, then I waited a couple of minutes
> more.  When it finally opened, I clicked on the
> applications tab  and waited a couple of minutes for it
> to open, then I tried to open Dolphin and it would never
> even start to open.  Then I tried to shut down; it took
> several minutes before I gave up and hard shut down,
> using the terminal ' sudo shutdown now -r'.  That worked
> pretty well until it came time to shut down, then I had
> to wait for a long long time maybe 5 or more minutes.
> Finally I pressed the off button and held it down until
> it went off.  I opened Thunderbird because of unread
> emails  read them and answered from my new computer,
> which was difficult because I had to type the responses
> and answers to keep the help person well advised.  Among
> the emails was a couple of repeat sends of the one that
> criticized me for taking so long to receive the solution
> to my network problems.  I admit it had some influence on
> my decision as to who did the attack.  It is just like
> what happened in Windows when infected by a virus.  At
> the same time all those ad emails came onto my computer.
> None were from those I mentioned who have dishonored
> their agreement to not send ads, only the junk I
> mentioned and much more of the same something for nuthin
>
> It is ominous.  There is so much, it couldn't be
> coincidental.  Oh, I have been surprised that I don't
> have a problem, because there are a couple of torrent
> [...]
Some basic Linux tools may help you locate the problem.
From a command line and preferably from a root console
session
(<ctl><alt>F2) Use "top" and "ps -x" to search for a job
running that is eating up too many resources.  use "kill
9999" (using the correct job number of course) to remove
that errant program.  Viruses are rare in Linux system but
I suppose one could exist on yours.  But there may be a
legitimate  program that is corrupt and in a race
condition.

If you don't have a password for root yet  go to a command
line, then run
su passwd root
and follow the dialog create one. Note spelling of passwd.

Another thought: boot from a Knoppix or Slax disk and see if
performance is better. Sometimes you can even boot from an
install disk. If e.g. Knoppix will run as usual then you
have as software problem. If Knoppix fails also or runs
much slower than usual for that system then you probably
have a hardware problem. Everyone should have a rescue cdr
of some flavor.

The chances that this is a deliberately sent malware program
are tiny.

I have an older computer that reboots every few minutes. I
assume a hardware problem. It is not worth my time to trace
it down. I have customers waiting. So a bought a "no OS"
Systemax  computer from Tiger Direct for about $300.  The
old box runs ATA rather than SATA drives and I can't find
the correct add-on memory to work with it.  It has served
me well through numerous upgrades. I weep no tears over it.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexers and Typesetters