Hardware Driver Manager

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Tue Mar 17 19:53:30 UTC 2009

Hardy Heron (8.04) updated:

My wife's Dell Vostro laptop has been making problems with the wireless card. The original Athros
card apparently died and we got the Dell tech guy to replace it with a Broadcom Corporation
BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01)
Not out choice - but I have the exact same card in my Inspiron so why not!
Anyway, I can't get the thing to connect. 'lspci' sees the card and after trying various
solutions about installing ndiswrapper and bcm43xx driver (it nearly worked - it actually tried
to connect!) I want to go back to using the 'Broadcom STA driver' that is listed under the
'Hardware Driver Manager'. The problem is that although the 'Enabled' box is checked, the
'Status' section says "Not in Use".
How do I get the to 'be used'?

I really am thinking of wiping Hardy and doing a fresh install of Jaunty Alpha6.....

Any suggestions or recommendations?

Blessings,

Nigel