e-Sword, first success

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Mar 17 11:09:15 UTC 2009

Nigel Henry wrote:

> I cannot remember if anyone has said that they have e-Sword actually working
> with Wine on Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, but if anyone actually does have it
> working, it would be nice to know how they did it.

Nigel, thanks very much for your great bible related links.

OK, then. Here is is now working on Kubuntu Intrepid 32bit with the
latest wine from the wineHQ Ubuntu/Debian repository.

I had it previously working in my "family tradition wine" from way back
when, but could not reproduce how to install it.

So I took heart and deleted my .wine folder, made up an entirely fresh
new one with winecfg, then installed the latest e-Sword into the default
location.

When starting from the Konsole e-Sword heavily complained about missing
da0360.dll and missing ms-jet database components. So I downloaded the
latest winetricks and installed nearly anything that is on offer in
there, especially IE6, webfonts, dcom, msjet, foundation classes,comctl
and mdac components.

Please note that quite a few of theses packages require to have a
windows license in order to legally install them on wine.

Then a quick "wineboot" and WOW!; the application runs.

Just when ending e-sword, msjet complains to be unable to compact the
study notes file "study.not".

So I did a quick search on google and found that on windows, either I
could repair the file with MS-Access, which I do not have.

Alternatively I could simply delete it and have it automatically
recreated by e-Sword, admittedly loosing all the study notes that I did
not have. ;-)

I did this and as far as I can tell, it is working now with the default
bible that came with it

At least the "wine windows" does not give any error messages anymore,
the application looks and behaves ok (at least for me, as far as I can
tell) and the konsole also does not give any really hard to fix errors,
just dozens of "fixme xyc:stub".

Actually with the help of winetricks, it was pretty straightforward. I
am well aware that this was sort of a Lead Shot at the problem, but I am
often tired to figure out, which exactly is to install to make windows
software work with wine. There is sufficent challenge in making it work
after installation and without errors, at least for me.

Also I do not know whether my ubuntu 32bit makes a difference in
contrast to 64bit installations.

I am interested to know how more experienced e-Sword users look at the
"e-Sword on wine" installation and what they find missing.

Kind regards
Eberhard