Using Kmail to send mail through Gmail

David Fletcher dave at thefletchers.net
Tue Mar 17 10:04:01 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 Mar 2009, Jonas Norlander wrote:

> I have already sorted it out now. For some reason it had changed from
> TLS to SSL. Are you sure you are using port 465? The official port
> from the google documentation say it should be 587.
>
> / Jonas

587 is, I believe, the usual "alternate" SMTP port number, for use with gmail,
1&1 etc. accounts with ISPs who block outgoing port 25.

When the outgoing SMTP server, port number, user ID and password are set up,
go to the Security tab, click on the "Check what the server supports" button
and it should just sort itself out.

Dave

--

FACT - Millions of people worldwide continue to pay money to one of the
richest companies in the world for its products, even though perfectly good

Registered Linux user number 393408

http://oneandone.co.uk/xml/init?k_id=6389763