e-Sword

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Mar 16 21:38:11 UTC 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 20:46, Steven Vollom wrote:
> >> No, what I need to know is NOT in the e-sword window, it's in the
> >> Konsole window where you started e-sword from.
>
> I have not gotten an error message.  It just doesn't work.  I am very
> pressured right now, please forgive me.  Someone gave help that
> partially worked.  I finally got a version of the bible on screen.
> However, if I select the bible I choose, the one that was on the screen
> remains.  Also, when I click on a chapter or verse on the left, nothing
> changes on the open page.  Strange behavior.
>
> >> I know the e-sword window is hosed, we just need to know what kind of
> >> errors the app is spitting out in the konsole window.
>
> No errors, even after the help that produced a page on the screen.  From
> somewhere in the middle of Ezekiel.
>
> >> Oh, and since I'm subscribed to this list you need to just reply to the
> >> List and not me as well.
>
> I am sure you are telling the truth, but I didn't realize I did that.  I
> most usually just respond with Reply unless the conversation goes off
> topic.  I am sorry.
>
> > Hi Howard.
> >
> > As I'm getting the same problem as Steven, on both Kubuntu Intrepid, and
> > Kubuntu Hardy, I'll post you a bit of the console output. Can't post it
> > all (85.5k). For me, where I have no bible text at all showing in the
> > main window for the default bible that was installed as part of the setup
> > .exe, the problem appears to be to due to one of the ole dll's. See
> > below.
>
> I am not knowledgeable enough to understand what is typed below.  I wish
> I could.

< My Konsole output snipped by Steven. Oftentimes konsole output is hard to
understand, so I understand his problem>

Hi Steven.

As I cannot  get e-Sword to work on Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, I fired up an old
Win XP, and installed it on that, and it shows the default bible text ok. At
the same time I ran the .exe's for other bibles, which created .bbl files,
and which I now have available for use on Linux, that is if i can get e-Sword
to work on Linux.

At the moment, when I start e-Sword on Intrepid, I get the main window
opening, which has 3 smaller windows within it, but no text is displayed for
the default kjv+ bible translation.

When I start e-Sword from KDE's Konsole, I get a load of output, some of which
I posted on an earlier post to the list. There were more than 800 lines of
output in total, showing a whole bunch of errors.

I cannot remember if anyone has said that they have e-Sword actually working
with Wine on Kubuntu Intrepid 8.10, but if anyone actually does have it
working, it would be nice to know how they did it.

Someone else on the list suggested Bibletime, which I also installed, and it
does work ok on Intrepid. Of course as you have already said, it does not
have the Good News Bible translation, which is the one you want.

I've tried e-Sword on both Kubuntu Intrepid, and Hardy, with no success. I
seem to remember that you said that you had e-Sword working ok on an earlier
version of Kubuntu. Do you remember what you had to do, to get get e-Sword
working on these earlier versions of Kubuntu?

You could always ask the author of BibleTime to add the Good news Bible to the
Bibletime package. Email address, and site link below.

nospam at joachim-ansorg.de
http://www.joachim-ansorg.de/

Have a look at the New World Translation of the bible, that I mentioned on a
it occurs in the hebrew scriptures, and is a very accurate translation. Link
below.

http://www.watchtower.org/

Apologies if the few lines above are OT.

Nigel.