Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon Mar 16 20:27:18 UTC 2009

John L Vifian wrote:
> On Sunday 15 March 2009 6:07:10 am Steven Vollom wrote:
>

> It looks as if you mistyped the URL because your browser should be
> reporting the URL as URL: fish://192.168.0.102 with two forward slashes.
>

> Also which machine did you install openssh-server on? It should be on
> the machine that you are trying to connect too, and not the one you
> are trying to connect from.
It is on my older macchine.

> Can you still ping each machine from the other?
I just learned how to do that yesterday, and yes.

> John Vifian
> --
> Define the Universe and give three examples. - Anonymous  1)  A speck
> of dust in the eye of GOD, 2) A neverending story, 3) Something to
> never get tired of looking at and enjoying.
Thank you for your kind response.  The typo is in the email, I have been
using //.  There are serious problems with one of my boxes.  None of the
good advice that has come from the List has helped.  I have a new
friend, very long distance, Pretoria, South Africa who is a genius in
these matters.  He called me yesterday and we worked for 6 hours on the
problem.  He ran out of time just prior to the final solution, but will
call back today.  In any event, I have tried fish, openssh, Samba, and
one other that I can't remember the name right now.  I seem to have the
same problem with each.  One of my computers is functioning properly and
set up to receive data from the other.  The other computer still has a
couple of glitches.

In all likelihood I am the culprit in the matter.  I have been alone
with my computer problems for about 20 years.  I have worked around and
still am working around problems that are of self creation I think.  I
have never had any help nor the ability to communicate with the forums
over the years.  A response that takes 2 to 4 weeks to get a reply is
too long for me to retain what is going on, so I have, by
experimentation, worked my problems through creative means to keep a
computer running, that and a lot of formatting and reinstalling.

Since I got on the list, I have been learning reasonably fast.  My old
computer has been working with the  two drives and several partitions
improperly mounted.  It has screwed up how networking can serve me.  It
is so bad that I will finally have to format and start over; I am simply
trying to save 250gb of data I prefer not to lose, if possible.  When
the problem is solved I will be using Samba, but I am still a day from
solution.  A very bright man has made my problem, his problem, so you
can consider the problem solved, with my gratitude for your effort.  I
am so very fortunate.

Steven