VMware VS VirtualBox

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Mar 15 15:48:54 GMT 2009

David Fletcher wrote:

> On Sunday 15 Mar 2009, Glen Barber wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 4:44 AM, Knapp <magick.crow at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Can anyone compare and contrast? I would like to use one or the other.
>> > What is best?
>> >

>> Define "best."
>> What are you trying to accomplish?
>> Are you testing operating systems or running full-scale virtual servers?
>> What are your performance concerns?  How do you want to interact with
>> the virtual machines?
>
> I'm pleased that somebody raised this one.

Me too.  I'm building a virtual appliance for a university project, and I
still haven't decided which VM server to use.

> I am using vmware at work to run Kubuntu Hardy for software development on

> OTOH I'm running Kubuntu Gutsy as the host at home, with Virtual Box. I
> occasionally need to run XP when I work from home, and I reckon it runs
> better than Hardy does on the VM at work. What I was hoping to be able to
> do, though, is move any VMs I create (including XP) to a new PC when it
> becomes necessary. Unfortunately when I tried this for temporary testing
> purposes, I found that can copy a Lenny VM to my old laptop and it fires
> up and runs just fine, but the XP VM proclaims that the hardware has been
> changed and refuses to run.

It has - because you're moving from a VMWare "machine" to a
VirtualBox "machine".

> I thought part of the purpose of having a VM was to hide the hardware from
> the VMs to enable moving them from physical machine to physical machine

Yes, but the machine is still defined differently between the different
vendors - and it can hardly be identical.

> Has anybody had the same experience, or managed to succeed where I have
> failed?

Well, you _are_ trying to do something that Windows explicitly doesn't
permit :-(
--
derek