VMware VS VirtualBox

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:28:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Edmund Laugasson <ed.lau at mail.ee> wrote:
>> Can anyone compare and contrast? I would like to use one or the other.
>> What is best?
>

> VirtualBox can be installed in Ubuntu very comfortable way and it always works -
> http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Linux_Downloads - there is repo for ubuntu and other Debian based
> distros to install it through APT. VM Ware Server has also repo but it is not updated very
> frequently and also VM Ware Server development itself is quite slow. VirtualBox has much faster
> development. Probably VM Ware is developing more those commercial versions and free VM Ware Server
> version is not in focus.

What?  Of course they have vmware-server in their "focus."  It is one
of their datacenter products.  Because you don't have to pay for it,
doesn't mean they aren't maintaining it.

> For VM Ware and Linux, especially Ubuntu, you can search from Google. Here is one article for
> reading to get picture - http://howtoforge.com/vmware-server-on-ubuntu8.04
> This patching script doesn't work always... And if you renew your kernel, then this action needs to
> be repeated. using VirtualBox it works flawlessly - after kernel update and restart just run sudo
> /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup to recompile new kernel modules and it always succeeded.

You no longer need to patch vmware-server (assuming you are using
2.x).  One caveat, however, is you do need to recompile vmware-server
after a kernel update.

> There are some prebuilt VM Ware modules for Linux:
> http://www.vmware.com/support/reference/linux/prebuilt_modules_linux.html

Unnecessary.  Even with a different version of gcc, the modules still
build and install without a problem.

> VirtualBox works faster than VM Ware.

I disagree.

> Free VM Ware Server does not have shared folders feature.
> VirtualBox have this.

Depends on how cunning you are.  If you are running a WinXP guest, you
can share a folder and use smb to share data.

> VM Ware Server needs registration at VM Ware webpage to get free licence keys to install. VirtualBox
> has no licence keys and you can install it right now.

Are you saying that registration, even for a free product, is a downfall?

--
Glen Barber