VMware VS VirtualBox

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Sun Mar 15 20:43:05 UTC 2009

David Fletcher wrote:

> On Sunday 15 Mar 2009, Derek Broughton wrote:
>>
>> > but the XP VM proclaims that the
>> > hardware has been changed and refuses to run.
>>
>> It has - because you're moving from a VMWare "machine" to a
>> VirtualBox "machine".

> No - This is the stuff at home that I'm playing with. The VM was installed
> under Virtual Box, and I copied it to another machine running VirtualBox.

Sorry, I thought you were talking about a VM created on your work VMWare.
In that case, I completely agree with you that the reference virtual
machine _should_ stay the same.

> Same vendor.

One assumes that at some point the virtual hardware does have to "grow up"
to take advantage of newer capabilities.  Windows is notoriously bad about
that - it _will_ assume a change of hardware, I have heard, if you just
change network cards, sometimes.  But if you are running on the same
version of VirtualBox, the hardware should appear the same - as long as you
have the same options checked in the VM configuration
--
derek