VMware VS VirtualBox

Knapp magick.crow at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 17:02:16 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Glen Barber <glen.j.barber at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 8:55 AM, David Fletcher <dave at thefletchers.net> wrote:
>> necessary. Unfortunately when I tried this for temporary testing purposes, I
>> found that can copy a Lenny VM to my old laptop and it fires up and runs just
>> fine, but the XP VM proclaims that the hardware has been changed and refuses
>> to run.
>>
>> I thought part of the purpose of having a VM was to hide the hardware from the
>> VMs to enable moving them from physical machine to physical machine
>>

> I'm not sure how VirtualBox does its hardware configuration for its machines.
>
> This *should* work with VMWare, as each VM is configured with a
> "hardware version", which to my understanding is what allows
> portability of these VMs.
> --
> Glen Barber

The OP here, I wanted to use it to compile QT Creator apps so that
they will run on XP. I tried it with VMware and got it up and running
(man is XP a PAIN IN THE B to install!!). But then it would not work
with the compilers for some reason. I was going to try again but
thought that maybe there was a better way. I am to the point of just
asking for someone on the list to compile it for me and send back the
results.

--
Douglas E Knapp

Why do we live?