ext4 issues

Jonas Norlander jonorland at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 14:12:13 UTC 2009

2009/3/14 Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>:
> Matthew Flaschen wrote:
>> Patricia Wilson wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks very much for the replies, especially the Wikipedia reference. For a
>>> home system many of these advantages seem like overkill but I can see their
>>> value for engineering/scientific systems where enormous files are not
>>> uncommon. I expect I would use it on a work system.
>>>

>> It is /not/ just about enormous files/filesystems.  It has real
>> performance benefits for a desktop user.
>>
>> Matt Flaschen
>>

> I just picked up on this post, Matt.  I am 64 bit Intrepid KDE 4.2 now.
> Should I use ext4 if I reinstall?
>
> Steven

Definit not!

ext4 file system as new file system and for sure has a lot of bugs so
let it stable for a wile before you start to use it. And as it turned
out KDE/Gnome and also other programs don't play well with ext4 as it
is now, you will end up with a lot of truncated files if you got a
crash.

/ Jonas