Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 03:32:37 GMT 2009

Jim wrote:
> Steven Vollom wrote:
>
>> I have a crossover cable.  I would like to transfer data from one
>> computer to another using the cable.  After the computers are connected,
>> what type of application will assist the transfer.  I have been unable
>> to get Samba or fish to work.  But I do have a crossover cable and would
>> like to try that.  TIA.
>>
>> Steven
>>

> Go into Admin > Services and see if sshd is running
Yes, I didn't even know it existed.  It is a new term for me.
>  and be sure you have
> a .ssh directory,
I looked for .ssh in my /home directory and did not find it.  Where do I
look for known_hosts and ssh?  While waiting for a response, I will look
in my /home/steven directory.
> and in .ssh directory be sure you have a file named
> known_hosts and ssh for "fish" will work.

I just make the folders known_hosts and ssh but install them where?
/home/steven?  /home/?

> To connect:   fish://bob@192.168.1.100 (depending on  name and  IP
> address) of computer you want to connect to.

I want to connect from my old computer to my new computer.  I have about
250gb of not backed up data to transfer.

I notice you have your username included like an email address.  I did
not do that when I tried to get fish to work, I did this:
fish://192.168.0.100/storage1.  Perhaps that is my mistake.  I have no
knowledge to draw from, this is a new experience.  Thanks for the help.
I need to take a break for a few minutes.  I will return to your
instruction in a bit.

Steven