Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat Mar 14 12:32:19 UTC 2009

>> So just put the second hard drive in the case and be done with it.
>> Mount it manually so as not to kill your already fragile fstab file.

This does sound interesting.  It must be a left brain though.  It is so
simple, I can't see why I did not just have the idea.  Anyway, I suspect
the problem is I must change it so that it is a slave, but I don't
understand the word 'manually' in this respect.  If I install it in the
new computer, won't it already be acknoledged?  When would the option of
manual install take place?

And since I have an OS on each HDD, can't I just  move the HDD to my new
computer, then transfer the data.  Then remove it again.  Then remove
the second HDD from the old computer and move it to the new computer to
make the transfer of the data on that drive.

At that point my work has been done.  So then regardless of my tender
fstab, just format and install a new OS.  That would leave a fresh
install in the old computer to give to my friend, and it with a fresh
and robust fstab?  Does this sound logical?
> The reason being is he'd have the issue of jumpers and making sure he gets all
> his master/slave combinations correct. If he doesn't he'd end up either right
> back where he started because the added HD will not be detected, or a computer
> that isn't going to boot.

Currently, I only have a single 500gb SATA drive in my new computer.  If
I install one of the other HDD's in my new computer,  won't the only
problem I have is to make the HDD a slave?  What else must I do?  And
thanks for being so considerate, but I think I can handle the changing
of the drives OK.

Steven