Not Kubuntu Specific: NachOS on Ubuntu?

Glen Barber glen.j.barber at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 22:59:22 GMT 2009

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 12:48 AM, Matthew Flaschen
<matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu> wrote:
> Glen Barber wrote:
>>> I was able to make some progress, but I got stuck on the assembly.
>>
>> Interesting.  Do you remember where specifically it crashed?  I don't
>> remember seeing that linux.patch (I'll check it out when I get home).
>
> Basically it can't find a (well, at least one) function that is supposed
> (as best as I can tell with my quite limited assembly knowledge) to be
> defined in threads/switch.s.
>
> Thus, you get errors like:
>
> nachos-3.4/code/threads/../threads/thread.cc:273: undefined reference to
> `ThreadRoot'

Meh, the same (similar) errors I get.  Looks like a lost cause.

>> Thanks for your feedback, Matt.
>
> You're welcome.  It seems like a very interesting program.  Can I ask
> what made you try to run it?

I hear it is a good learning tool for OS development.  Single-stepping
through kernels at boot takes too long to be productive.  Basically,
just "something to do(tm)."

Thanks!

--
Glen Barber