Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat Mar 14 10:12:57 UTC 2009

On Saturday 14 March 2009 12:08:25 am Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Additionally, I am interested in knowing the crossover technology.
>
> There is no crossfire technology. The changing of the wire's location
> is an artifact, not a technology. It's still ethernet over cat5. Those
> are two terms that you can google if you want to know more about the
> technology.
>
> > One
> > thing I have not received an answer for is this, which of these
> > processes transfers data faster.
>
> Can't say. In theory, eliminating the router may speed things up. In
> practice not so.
>
> > For now I am only going to use this
> > capability one time.  I have about 250gb of data to move and a person
> > anxiously waiting in the wings to get my old computer.
>
> So just put the second hard drive in the case and be done with it.
> Mount it manually so as not to kill your already fragile fstab file.

I agree. But I suggested using CD/DVD media, because I think putting the old
HD in the new computer would also be a little too advanced for him at this
time.

The reason being is he'd have the issue of jumpers and making sure he gets all
his master/slave combinations correct. If he doesn't he'd end up either right
back where he started because the added HD will not be detected, or a computer
that isn't going to boot.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net