Crossover cable connection between 2 computers.

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat Mar 14 10:04:10 UTC 2009

On Friday 13 March 2009 11:19:41 pm Steven Vollom wrote:
> Norberto Bensa wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 1:47 PM, Steven Vollom
> >
> > <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> >> I have a crossover cable.  I would like to transfer data from one
> >> computer to another using the cable.
> >
> > Why!!!???
> >
> > You have a perfectly running network with the router you configured
> > with my -and others- help. So why do you want to go the hard way?
>
> We have come to sort of an impass.  We haven't been able to make a
> functioning connection either by using fish or Samba.  The closest we
> have come is just now I have one computer showing detail from both
> computers for the first time. What it shows is not particular pleasing,
> but at least they are communicating.  I had already posted regarding
> crossover anyway, before this breakthrough.
>
> Additionally, I am interested in knowing the crossover technology.  One
> thing I have not received an answer for is this, which of these
> processes transfers data faster.  For now I am only going to use this
> capability one time.  I have about 250gb of data to move and a person
> anxiously waiting in the wings to get my old computer.
>
> Once the data is moved, I will be giving the computer to him. I won't
> need the ability again until I fix the on/off switch on my laptop.  Then
> it will again be useful.  You seem to know all the ways to transfer the
> data using a network.  I would also like to know the different ways.  It
> is no more complicated than that.  If it is an abuse of the Lists time,
> I would rather not do it, but if not, anyone who would like to know
> these things too, can peek over my shoulder and experience the learning
> process with me.

Steven, Why not just put a DVD-R/RW or CD-R/RW in  the old computer, fire up
K3B, burn your data on a disk then copy the stuff on the disk onto your new
computer. Then you can learn about networking and more advanced techniques at
your own pace.

I think this subject is just far too complicated to try and explain through E-
Mail, given your limited knowledge of certain things like ping, ip addresses,
scp, etc, etc.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net